What is the Johnson County Community ID?
The Johnson County Community ID is a local-government issued photo identification available to residents of Johnson County. The ID was established to ensure that all members of our diverse community are welcomed and can participate fully in the economic and social life of our county.
The Johnson County Community ID can be used in a wide variety of day-to-day interactions, such as to:
- Open a bank account in participating banks
- Confirm your identify when using credit cards
- Get a library card
- Interact with schools, city and county agencies, and law enforcement officials
- Participate in discount programs offered by selected community businesses and institutions
The Johnson County Community ID cannot be used to: get a driver’s license, board an airplane, purchase alcohol or tobacco, enter establishments with age restrictions, prove employment eligibility, or vote.
How Do I Apply?
The ID will be issued by the Auditor’s office to any resident living within Johnson county who can provide:
1. Proof of Identity
Present ONE (1) of the following documents:
- U.S. or foreign passport
- U.S. driver’s license
- U.S. state non-driver’s identification card
- U.S. Permanent Resident Card (green card)
- Birth certificate (only for kids 16 and under)
- Consular identification card
Present TWO (2) of the following documents:
- National identification card (must have photo, name, address, date of birth, expiration date)
- Foreign driver’s license (current-not expired)
- Voter registration card (with original birth certificate)
- U.S. or foreign military identification card (must be presented with original birth certificate)
- Visa (current)
- U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number – ITIN (Must be accompanied by a photo ID)
- ID card issued by an Iowa educational institution, (elementary, middle, secondary, or post-secondary)
- Certified copy of U.S. or foreign birth certificate
- Social security card
2. Proof of Residency
- Utility bill*
- Insurance bill (home, renter, health, life, auto)*
- Bank statement*
- Employment stub*
- Mortgage payment receipt*
- Original documents from a health or social services organization attesting to at least 15 days Johnson County residency*
- Jury summons or court order by state, federal court*
- Federal or state income tax or refund statement
- Proof of a minor enrolled in public or private school in Johnson County
- Voter registration card
- Current Rental Agreement
- Current mobile home lot payment receipt
- Local property tax statement for present year
*Proof of Residency documents with a star must be current, i.e. dated within the past 30 days.
How Much Does it Cost?
Adults will receive an ID that is valid for four years, and will cost $8. Children are eligible to receive an ID that is valid for two years, that will cost $4.
If a card-holder moves to another Johnson County address, a replacement card with the accurate address will cost $2, within 30 days of the move.
- HyVee Pharmacy Use the card to get your medicines!
- Towncrest Pharmacy Use the card to get your medicines!
- University of Iowa Health Care (UIHC) Use the card to get your medicines and for your appointments!
- Two Rivers Bank & Trust. Use your community ID as a secondary form of identification to open a bank account (along with a primary form of identification such as a foreign passport or other foreign government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard)
- *University of Iowa Credit Union. Use just your community ID to open a bank account – no need for secondary form of identification!
- Veridian Credit Union. Use your community ID as a secondary form of identification to open a bank account (along with a primary form of identification such as a foreign passport or other foreign government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard)
Arts, Education, and Recreation Discounts
- Coralville Mall Carousel Rides. One free ride for the first 500 recipients of the ID
- Hancher. $10 off ticket for Las Cafeteras concert, Friday, September 25 at 9:30pm (buy tickets at Hancher Box Office, 2 per family)
- Iowa Children’s Museum. Receive free family day pass for those who opt-in while applying for the ID
Coralville Retail & Restaurants Discounts
- Alsafa Market. 5% off every Tuesday
- America’s Mattress. 6% off for all mattress sets
- Bai Jia Asian Market. 10% off entire purchase
- Home Spa. First ten minutes free
- Kapook Asian, Chinese & Japanese Cuisine. 10% off entire purchase excluding lunch special and drink
- Pacific Express Bus. $5.00 off one way
- Sun’s Rental. $50.00 first month’s rental
- Sushi Buffet. Free soda
- The Best Cleaning. $20.00 off entire purchase
Iowa City Retail & Restaurants Discounts
- Accurate Automotive. Free courtesy inspection. 30 point vehicle check – good before you buy a used vehicle
- Acapulco Mexican Bakery #2. 5% off purchase of $100
- Beadology Iowa. 15% off first time purchase
- Casa Tequila. 10% off entire purchase Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Food Republic. Free soda
- High Ground Cafe. 10% off everything
- HoH World Food Market. Proud supporter
- Los Portales. 10% off entire purchase Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
- New Pioneer Coop. Proud supporter
- Russ’ Northside Service, INC. 10% off any service over $50.00, excluding gasoline
- Uncle Sun. Free soda
- Uptown Bills. Buy a cup of coffee and get free refills
- Thai Spice. Free soda
- The World Food Market. 5% off any frozen food from Monday to Wednesday
Local Businesses Supporters
The following businesses are proud supporters of the Johnson County Community ID program and will accept Community ID cards.
Please, remember the Community ID cannot be used to purchase alcohol
- Active Endeavors
- Chait Galleries
- Computer Solutions
- Day Dreams Comics
- Donnelly’s Pub
- Englert Theater
- Film Scene
- First Trust and Savings Bank
- Haunted Bookshop
- Herteen & Stocker Jewelers
- HyVee Pharmacy
- Iowa Artisan’s Gallery
- Iowa City Public Library
- Joe’s Place
- Mama’s Deli
- Motley Cow Cafe
- Oasis Falafel
- Running Wild
- Swankie Frankie’s
- The Mill
- TLC Associates Coralville
- Velvet Coat
- White Rabbit